Feasting With FARE: Ice Cream Sandwiches
A classic treat by Sarah and Brooke, that is simple and refreshing for even the hottest summer days.
- 1 ½ cups your choice of flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. Baking soda
- ¼ tsp. Baking powder
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 egg or ½ cup applesauce or egg substitute
- A heaping ⅓ cup of canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 tsp. Hot water
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup half and half or milk substitute
- 2 tsp. Sugar
- ¼ cup salt
- Two plastic zip bags
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients: flour, brown sugar, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add egg (or egg substitute), vanilla, oil, and hot water.
- Prepare the baking sheet and roll cookie dough into desirable size cookie.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Let cookies cool. While cooling, begin to prepare ice cream.
- In the first plastic sealable bag, combine milk (or milk substitute) and sugar.
- In the second bag, place ice and salt.
- Place the first sealed bag (milk and sugar) into the second bag (ice and salt) and seal the second bag.
- Shake the bag for 5 - 7 minutes and check ice cream to see if it is the correct consistency. If not, continue to shake on ice until creamy. This process may take a few more minutes with milk substitutes.
- Scoop out ice cream and sandwich between two cookies.