Feasting With FARE: Creamy Potato Fennel Soup
This smooth, savory recipe comes from Cook It Up, an allergy-friendly cookbook written and illustrated by Teen Advisory Group (TAG) member Catherine Walker.
This smooth, savory recipe comes from Cook It Up, an allergy-friendly cookbook written and illustrated by Teen Advisory Group (TAG) member Catherine Walker. To keep the dish top 9-free, use allergy-friendly croutons or omit them and garnish with chopped chives and crumbled bacon.
- 1 lb Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 fennel bulb, roughly chopped
- 2 yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped, OR 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Olive oil as needed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp chives
- Crumbled bacon and optional croutons for garnish
- Sauté fennel, onions and garlic in olive oil until soft. Meanwhile chop the potatoes (skins on) and boil them separately in a large pot until they are cooked through and the skins fall off. Remove potatoes from heat and drain. Remove potato skins. Put onion mixture into the pot with the potatoes.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and blend soup with a hand-held blender until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot. Drizzle a little olive oil on individual soup bowls. Garnish with chives, bacon and, if available, croutons.