Feasting With FARE: Austrian Mushroom Goulash with Potato Dumplings
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 1 TBSP soy free, dairy free butter
- portobello mushrooms, cut into chunks
- 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/4 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 2 TBSP smoked paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 3 large golden potatoes
- 1-2 TBSP soy free, dairy free butter
- 2-3 TBSP non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup wheat free flour
- 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1 TBSP fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Fresh chives for garnish
- In a large pan, add the olive oil, butter and onions on medium. Heat until the onions start to sizzle and reduce down to low and let caramelize for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want the onions to develop a rich brown color.
- In a separate pan, sauté the mushrooms in a TBSP of olive oil until just soft. About 6 minutes. Add in the spices, caramelized onions, and 1/2-1 cup of water. Let softly simmer for 10 minutes.
- Peel and dice the potatoes and boil until fork tender.
- Drain and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and smash with a potato masher.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, place dollops of potato mixture over the goulash. Place the whole pan in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until the dumplings are golden. Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh chopped chives.
Around the World in 80 Plates with Leslie Durso
In Around the World in 80 Plates, host Leslie Durso recreates top-9 free dishes she puts on menus in resorts in the world’s hottest destinations!