Feasting With FARE: Turkey Gravy
By Lori Dziuba
Gravy is such a basic condiment, yet often calls for flour, butter, milk or some combination of these ingredients. Many gravy recipes are made with drippings from a roast. I have learned an incredibly easy method to make gravy from scratch. This gravy is dairy-free and gluten-free. It can be made without relying on drippings from a roast. If you are making a roast, add some of the drippings to the broth for additional flavor.
- 2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- Add chicken broth to a saucepan, bring to a gentle boil.
- Whisk all spices into broth, add margarine.
- Continue to cook until margarine melts throughout.
- Create slurry to thicken gravy by mixing cornstarch and cold water in a small glass or bowl.
- Add slurry to gravy, whisk to combine. Continue whisking until gravy thickens.