Feasting With FARE: Classic Roasted Turkey
By Lori Dziuba
Every family has their tradition for cooking a turkey. I have included a classic recipe for roasting a turkey in the oven. Always cook turkey until an internal temperature of 165 F is reached.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place rack in the lowest position of the oven.
- Remove the turkey neck and giblets, rinse the turkey, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in the roasting pan.
- Rub the skin with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover turkey loosely with an aluminum foil tent.
- Pour 2 cups turkey stock into the bottom of the roasting pan. Baste all over every 30 minutes with the juices on the bottom of the pan.
- Remove aluminum foil after 2 1/2 hours. Roast uncovered until a meat thermometer inserted in the meaty part of the thigh reads 165 F.
- Transfer the turkey to a large serving platter and let sit for 20-30 minutes before carving.