Feasting With FARE: Paleo Apple Pie
By Amanda MacGregor
- 1 gluten-free pie crust*
- 5-6 Gala apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- ⅓ cup date sugar
- 1/4 cup maple sugar*
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ⅓ cup flour (we used oat flour to keep it gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons oil
- You can make an extra pie crust to top the pie with. We left ours open.*
- You can use coconut sugar if you prefer.**
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Carefully roll out the pie crust and gently press it into a greased pie dish, allowing excess to hang over the edge. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge to chill.
- In a large bowl, toss the apple slices with lemon or lime juice.
- Add the sugars, syrup, flour, and cinnamon to the bowl and toss to coat. Allow apples to sit for about 5 to 10 minutes in the sugar and spice mixture so that they release more juices.
- Spoon the apple filling into the chilled pie crust-lined pie dish.
- Decorate the top of the pie with the remaining crust as desired.
- Brush the oil lightly around the edge of the pie.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and juices are bubbling.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes.