Feasting With FARE: Cornbread Stuffing
By Lori Dziuba
Dried out cubes of cornbread are required before making this stuffing. So, make a double batch of cornbread – one to eat and one to turn into stuffing. To dry out the cornbread for stuffing, cut a batch into bite sized cubes. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and allow to dry overnight. Or, you can put the baking sheet in the oven and bake at 200 F for about 90 minutes. Then proceed to follow the ingredient list and instructions to make the stuffing.
- 1 batch of cornbread, cubed and dried
- ¼ cup vegan margarine 2-3 cups chicken broth
- 1 large sweet onion, diced 4 stalks if celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F, lightly oil a 9x13 casserole dish, set aside.
- Melt vegan margarine in a large skillet on the stove over medium heat.
- Add diced onions, celery and spices. Cook over medium heat until tender, not browned.
- Place dried cornbread cubes into prepared casserole dish. Add cooked onion and celery mixture.
- Slowly add chicken broth, one cup at a time, gently stirring. The mixture needs to be moist, not soggy.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until top is golden brown.