Feasting With FARE: Top 9 Free Grape Leaves
We're off to Greece for a delicious taste of the country
- 1 jar of Orlando California Grape Leaves, drained with boiling water, drain, pour hot water over them again and let soak for about 30 minutes, rinse, lay flat
- ¼ cup + 3 TBSP olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped fine
- 1 cup minced curly leaf parsley
- ½ cup fresh minced dill
- ¼ cup fresh minced mint
- ¼ cup dried currants or golden raisins
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 ½ cup long grain white rice
- ½ cup + 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon salt
- juice of 2 lemons, divided equally
- Heat olive oil in pan and sauté onions until the edges get soft. Add in the herbs, currants, and sunflower seedsand cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the rice, broth, salt, juice of 1 lemon, and another 3 tbsp. olive oil. Sauté 15 minutes. You are not fully cooking the rice in this step.
- To assemble - line a large pot with grape leaves.
- Prep your grape leaves by trimming the stem.
- Lay the leaf flat on a cutting board, vein side up. Place a heaping TBSP rice mixture in the center of the leaf. Fold up the bottom over the mixture, then the sides and roll into a nice tight bundle.
- Pack the stuffed grape leaves in the lined pot and repeat for all the leaves.
- In the pot, pour 1 cup of vegetable broth, 1/4 cup olive oil, juice of 1 lemon and enough boiling water to just cover the grape leaves.
- Place the pot over medium heat and gently simmer for 40-45 minutes or until tender.