Feasting With FARE: Eggplant Parmesan
Join Chef Leslie Durso on her adventure Around the World in 80 Plates as she makes her next stop in Italy.
- 2 eggplant (8 japanese eggplant)
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- Peel the eggplant lengthwise in strips, leaving some of the skin intact. Remove the tops and bottoms
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise. Layer the slices of eggplant in a colander and sprinkle each layer with a pinch of salt. Let set for 15 minutes. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Sprinkle the flour onto a plate and dip each slice of eggplant into the flour.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil over medium high heat to 315 degrees.
- Fry each slice of eggplant until it is lightly golden brown. Drain and transfer to paper towels to allow excess oil to be absorbed.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a baking dish, layer the ingredients in the following order: tomato sauce, eggplant, nutritional yeast, fresh basil leaves. Repeat. Top it off with the remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Bake the eggplant parmesan for 30 minutes. Let rest 15 minutes before slicing.