Feasting with FARE: Creamed Spinach
A flavorful favorite side dish made by Chef Leslie Durso, top-9 free, and a true crowd-pleaser.
- 2 lbs fresh spinach
- 3 tbsp butter substitute*
- 4 oz mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp Tapioca flour or cornstarch
- 1 ½ cup plain oat milk*
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- Salt and pepper
- Gluten-free crispy onions
*Click here for substitution options
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Saute the fresh spinach in water or a tsp of olive oil. Drain and roughly chop, set aside.
- In a sauce pot, on medium heat, melt the butter and add the mushrooms, onion and garlic. Saute until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the flour and stir continuously until it becomes a paste like consistency and tan colored.
- Carefully add the oat milk and continue to stir continuously.
- Add in the mayonnaise and stir well.
- Add the spinach, stir well, and pour into a casserole dish.
- Top with the crispy onions, cover with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes.
More Side Dishes
This holiday season whip up some of Chef Leslie Durso's recipes for classic and delicious top-9 free side dishes for you and your family to enjoy!Learn More