Steps for a Safe Kitchen
Cooking for those with food allergies can be as easy as 1, 2, 3.
Step 1: Avoid Cross-Contact
- Thoroughly clean counters, cutting boards, knives, slicers, spoons, measuring cups, mixing bowls and other equipment before preparing a meal for someone with food allergies.
- Keep separate sets of utensils for handling safe and unsafe foods. Some families use separate dishes, usually marked by different colors.
Step 2: Wash, Rinse, Sanitize
- Wash: Prepare a solution of warm, soapy water. Use it with a single-use towel to clean all kitchen surfaces.
- Rinse: Fill a spray bottle with fresh water. Spray areas that have been cleaned with the soapy water. Wipe down with a clean single-use towel.
- Sanitize: Use single-use, sanitized towels or wipes to clean all kitchen surfaces. Allow surfaces to air dry.
Step 3: Prepare Ingredients Safely
- Wash your hands properly.
- After handwashing, use non-latex gloves to handle safe foods.
- Use designated tools and equipment to prepare safe foods.
- Prepare meals for people with food allergies before other family meals.
- Serve safe foods separately. If not serving right away, cover and keep the meal warm in an oven on low heat until it is served.