Feasting With FARE: Lemon–Herb Spatchcock Chicken with Arugula Salsa Verde
Chef David Rose teaches us how to cook a delicious Top-9 free dish for Food Allergy Awareness Week 2022!
- 1 (4-pound) fryer chicken
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 8 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves removed and minced
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves removed and minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup minced fresh Italian parsley
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Pinch salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pound jumbo asparagus, trimmed and blanched in salted water for 2 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- To make the oil, combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken. Using kitchen shears or a knife, remove the backbone of the chicken, lay the breast side up, and then flatten the chicken with your hands. Liberally season both sides with salt and pepper. Allow the chicken to dry brine by leaving it uncovered in the fridge overnight. This process adds flavors, releases moisture, and creates super crispy chicken skin when roasted.
- When ready to cook, remove the chicken from the fridge and slather with the oil on both sides. Allow it to come to room temperature for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Prepare the EGG/grill to cook indirect with a drip pan at 375°F. Cook the chicken breast side up on the EGG/grill cooking grid for 30 minutes, then flip over to continue cooking for 30 minutes, until the internal temperature in the breast reaches 160°F and the chicken skin is crispy. Remove the chicken from the EGG/grill and allow it to rest for 12 to 15 minutes before carving. Carryover cooking will bring the internal temperature to 165°F and allow the juices to distribute evenly.
Arugula Salsa Verde
- Place all ingredients in the food processor, and blend until thoroughly incorporated and sauce-like consistency; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- place all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until well
incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare the EGG/grill to cook direct at 450°F. To make the asparagus, toss it in a large bowl with the olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper and then grill it on the EGG/grill cooking grid for 2 to 3 minutes per side. As the asparagus cooks, glaze it with the
vinaigrette, twice on both sides, until slightly charred. Remove from the EGG/grill. Drizzle with more vinaigrette, garnish with cilantro and serve.