Feasting With FARE: French Toast
Recipe by JUST Egg
- 8 slices sturdy bread, like a French loaf or brioche (day old / stale works best)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup JUST Egg
- ½ cup milk (almond creamer is our go-to here)
- Coconut oil or butter
- Your favorite toppings (maple syrup, berries, powdered sugar...)
- Dry out the bread. If your bread is not stale yet, lay it out on a baking sheet overnight to dry, or bake it for 10-20 minutes in a 300°F oven until stiff and dry. Using stale or dried bread will help it soak up the custard, while avoiding soggy French toast.
- Whisk the custard. Whisk together the JUST Egg, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and milk in a wide shallow dish.
- Soak the bread. Soak the bread slices in the custard mixture for 15-30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Fry the toast. Bring a non-stick skillet to medium-low heat and brush with a light coating of coconut oil or butter. Use a fork or tongs to pick up each slice of bread from the soaking dish, letting any excess custard mixture drip off back into the dish. Cook each slice for about 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Serve immediately, with your favorite toppings.
JUST Egg contains soy.
While FARE does not endorse products, we support and appreciate enterprises and organizations that are committed to serving the food allergy community. FARE’s ability to make an impact is strengthened by partnering with like-minded companies to help raise food allergy awareness and provide more options to all those living with food allergy.