FARE Leadership Spotlight - June 2021
Meet Janet Atwater, a member of FARE’s Board of Governors, and learn a little more about her!
- What's your name, where are you from, and what is your food allergy connection?
My name is Janet Atwater. I live in Chadds Ford, PA – a suburb of Wilmington, DE, and Philadelphia, PA – and I’m a food allergy Mom and long-time supporter of FARE.
- What drew you to FARE? Why do you support FARE?
My son was diagnosed at 11 months old with life-threatening allergies to peanuts and tree nuts – he’s now almost 24 years old! My pediatrician and allergist recommended that we join FARE. We support FARE because it has been instrumental in helping us safely navigate food allergies with our son.
- When you think of FARE, what first comes to mind?
The most trusted resource for food-allergic individuals and their families.
- What is one thing you would tell any food-allergic person or parent/guardian of a food-allergic person?
Always carry your EpiPen. Accidents are never intentional or planned!
- What is the best food allergy advice you ever received?
Give your food-allergic child Roots and Wings. Roots are the knowledge and resources for how to stay safe, and Wings are helping them eventually gain the independence and confidence needed to become their own best advocate and handle their food allergy themselves.
- What is your favorite hobby or pastime?
Reading. If I can sit outside with a good book, a nice breeze, and a beverage it’s a great day.
- With summer upon us, what is your favorite top-nine-free summer treat?
Any flavor of sorbet. It was always our “go to” summertime dessert because we knew it was safe.