Keeping on Top of Your Healthcare

An important part of managing food allergies in college is having a plan for your healthcare. Learn about your options for health insurance, obtaining medical care, filling prescriptions and more.

An important part of managing food allergies in college is having a plan for your healthcare.

Health Insurance

Under the Affordable Care Act of 2010, young adults can usually remain on a parent’s health insurance plan until they turn 26, as long as the plan covers dependents. If you are 26 or older, you will need to secure your own health care coverage. You can look for insurance plans through your school, your employer or the state's Health Insurance Marketplace.

Medical Care and Prescriptions

Your school may have a health center where you can get medical care and prescriptions. If they don’t, research which doctors and pharmacy you’ll use before you head off to school.

Also make sure you always have a current prescription for an epinephrine auto-injector. Devise a system for remembering expiration dates and when it’s time to get a refill.

Preparing for Emergencies

Accidents are never planned, but you must plan for an accident.

Carry your insurance card, epinephrine and other allergy medication with you at all times. Download a free Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Emergency Care Plan for your doctor to fill out.

You may want to wear an emergency medical identification as well (as a bracelet or other piece of jewelry).

Healthcare Power of Attorney

If you are 18 or older, consider giving a trusted adult the role of your healthcare power of attorney. If you are ever unable to communicate, this would give that person the ability to give and get information about your health. He or she could also make healthcare decisions on your behalf.

For more information and healthcare power of attorney forms, visit the American Bar Association.