Food Allergy Education and Research (FARE) is seeking a talented communicator to support FARE’s internal, external, and executive communications needs. The ideal candidate will be passionate about FARE’s mission to improve the quality of life and the health of individuals with food allergies, and to provide them hope through the promise of new treatments. Applicants will possess excellent organizational, time management, strong written and verbal skills and will have graphic design capabilities. We are looking for a motivated self-starter who can hit the ground running and who will make vital contributions to the organization’s and the department’s objectives, including elevating the profile of food allergy as a serious public health disease.
The successful candidate will be detail-oriented and resourceful and will have exposure to and experience using media and social media platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn) as well as monitoring platforms. He or she must be familiar with editorial guidelines, have a solid communications foundation and have experience writing and editing a variety of communications materials, including press materials, social media strategies and content, web site content, brochures, fact sheets, success stories, donor campaign materials, and other tools to tell FARE’s story.
The ideal candidate will approach the work with a scrappy mindset, the resolve to overcome obstacles to accomplish ambitious goals, and a willingness to work irregular hours when necessary.
Experience with nonprofits, particularly patient advocacy organizations, is desired along with experience working at a PR agency and/or on Capitol Hill.
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders throughout the organization to support departments’ editorial needs including executive messaging/content, talking points and presentations as well as impact reports
- Serve as back-up media relations liaison
- Media monitoring and creation of ongoing metrics reports
- Maintain editorial calendar for FARE blog, writing and editing posts as needed
- Assist with drafting articles for organization newsletters
- Support website management through writing copy for any needed updates
- Field requests for usage of FARE copyrighted materials
- Edit and proofread materials
- Design support for internal documents and development support
- Be a passionate ambassador and steward for FARE’s brand and mission.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to persuasively convey the FARE’s mission to diverse groups including donors, members, and the public and across multiple platforms.
- Experience with digital marketing to include email management, social media, basic html and graphic design strongly preferred
- Solution-oriented, data-driven, strategic communicator
- Editorial skills (editing, formatting, proofreading, style) Collaborative team spirit and a sense of humor
- Strong relationship builder
- Agile and adaptable in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Expertise in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) strongly preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in related field and a minimum of 3-5 years in public relations, marketing and/or communications including at a PR agency and/or on Capitol Hill
- Experience with social and digital media monitoring tools preferred (e.g., Hootsuite, Sprout Social, Cision, Meltwater)
- Experience with writing donor-focused newsletters
- Writing for web and experience with content management systems preferred but not required
- Experience managing projects and reporting measurable results.